Almost one month of real life testing the POS, GREAT !!

Discussions, hints and tips for users of Retail-Man Point of Sale, from Ezi Solution.

Moderators: sami, graham

Almost one month of real life testing the POS, GREAT !!

Postby boytoys » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:38 pm

We have been replacing the good old cash register and with almost one month of testing. we are happy to provide some feedback here

Support
- the support is great; almost instant replies ; 5 stars treatment even to
shareware testing customers only
- very transparent communication/forum with developers (compared to other similar shareware companies)

Technical
- Program is very stable (so far we uses it as a cash register, we have not used it for the accounting side of double entry journals, purchase orders,
- we uses a EPSON T88 III Thermal printer (most common ones - McDonald, Supermarkets, Blockbusters uses it) and Retail Man has no problem recognising it although the preset printer selection says only II.
- Data Import is the BEST feature i found in this shareware compared to even $2000 off the rack accounting/pos software (eg. BusinessVision 32 which i used before); very simple and ability to work with EXCEL spreadsheets is the best; what i am not sure is whether it works with OPEN OFFICE.
- Reports are plain and simple and i love it..now although i am not exactly using the accounting side, at least i know what is being sold on a daily basis, instead of a DUMB cash register.

Improvements needed ...

I am sure the developers are doing a good job as they are. But these are my wish list in priorities.

- What about multiple company files ? (eg. I operate 2 businesses from same POS)
- Printing logos on receipt (currently this is available in printing invoices only)
- Tax for Canada (separate the tax to two tier, non compounded) is needed and i believe this is in the works. Currently i defined the permutation of the different taxes to go around it.

- I am still not sure if i need a 2 site license if i want to have a client/server type operation. Can you clarify this ? The manual only describe network version but the shopping cart shows 1 user and 2 users version... :?: :?: :?: :?:

Verdict

- Am I purchasing a license, You bet I am.!! Great Product and the only one that i found that is willing to support their product with a Forum. ***** Five stars for just this alone. Others are too scared to even answer users questions.

Question for Developers
Do you accept only CC payment only, Can I send by paypal payments ? I have more funds in paypal than CC :?: :?: :?: :?:

Cordially

Daniel Chun
BoyToys Canada
Today's Hobby Makes Future Engineers

The Most Fascinating Science and Hobby Store in Ontario, Canada
boytoys
Standard

Feedback from Ezi Solution

Postby graham » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:47 pm

Daniel,

Many thanks for your feedback. It helps us a lot to get feedback, positive and negative. To answer some of your specific points.

- What about multiple company files ?

This is currently under test, and should be available in a few weeks.

- Printing logos on receipt (currently this is available in printing invoices only)

A good idea. Ezi Support will add this to the To Do list.

- Tax for Canada (separate the tax to two tier, non compounded) is needed and i believe this is in the works.

Yes this is in the development plan. This is also required for customers in other countries as well.

- I am still not sure if i need a 2 site license if i want to have a client/server type operation.

A 2 user licence is required for a configuration with two active POS terminals. A licence for 2 sites will be required if you have two retail outlets, each with independent stock. The multi-company / depot option will allow the stock from one outlet to be viewed at the other outlet.

Do you accept only CC payment only, Can I send by paypal payments ?

Not sure what you mean by this. Retail-Man can be bought at several web sites including the ones listed below. The software will accept payments by Credit Card or PayPal, but you will need to define an account for PayPal.

www.ezisolution.biz - Credit Card (GBP), PayPal (GBP, USD), bank transfer

www.ezisolution.com - Credit Card (USD)

www.ezisolution.info - PayPal (USD)

Graham Morris
Ezi Solution
graham
Site Admin

Postby boytoys » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:12 am

thanks for the response !

I recently noticed that when i want to print say from March 1st to March 25th report to screen, it will present errors, ask for "retry, ignore, cancel" repeatedly and then i click and click and it will come to crash. This is first time i use this report function. I will test some more..before..confirming this observation.

Anyway. You have answered my questions.

I will not need two (2) POS, i will however need one active POS Workstation accessing the files located in a networked environment with another PC Server (more stable server) ; I have not tested this, i do not expect this action to be hard, as i have done this with the Business Vision 32 before. Will it slow down if i already have 100Mbps network.?

Q.So am i correct to assume that I therefore need the 2 user license then, will i get two separate keys ?

What do i need to do, install two instance shareware first and use the key provided ? or do i have two completely from start.

The reason i ask for paypal payments as it is more convenient for me to send in payments via PAYPAL. That's all !!

Tks
Daniel
boytoys
Standard

Postby Jaeger » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi Daniel,
Network is easy as pie. I know because we've just done one, two now and asked the same questions.

The server acts as 1 user any additional terminals/computers count as 2nd, 3rd etc.

There's a guide here http://www.eziforum.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=30

Speed wise. I've just set up a POS Terminal via USB Wireless 54Mg, and it was reading from a laptop that contained the test data which was also on the wireless. So 2 machines exchanging data sharing the same wireless connection, speed was more than acceptable. Our final install will be Terminal on wireless and hard wired server. With your all wired setup speed shouldn't be an issue.

All data is stored on the server and only 1 install is necessary, all other users setup a shortcut on the desktop and point it to where the software is installed on the server. The instructions in the link above will make it clearer.

I know Sami has been doing a lot of work on report functions and will be eager to know what report you're running and the error you’re getting. Be sure to post the findings.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Jaeger
Standard

More Information

Postby graham » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:01 pm

boytoys wrote:thanks for the response !

>> Some more feedback to your questions.

I recently noticed that when i want to print say from March 1st to March 25th report to screen, it will present errors, ask for "retry, ignore, cancel" repeatedly and then i click and click and it will come to crash. This is first time i use this report function. I will test some more..before..confirming this observation.

>> Please check the version of Retail-Man. You should be using 1.60.29d. If your version is older, there may be some issues, so an upgraded is recommened. Also, it is worth re-indexing the files to see if this resolves the problem.

Anyway. You have answered my questions.

I will not need two (2) POS, i will however need one active POS Workstation accessing the files located in a networked environment with another PC Server (more stable server) ; I have not tested this, i do not expect this action to be hard, as i have done this with the Business Vision 32 before. Will it slow down if i already have 100Mbps network.?

>> Your network speed should not be a problem, but the network will need to be reliable.

Q.So am i correct to assume that I therefore need the 2 user license then, will i get two separate keys ? What do i need to do, install two instance shareware first and use the key provided ? or do i have two completely from start.

>> There is one key for a 2-user licence. The best way is to install the software on the server and access this remotely from the second PC using a shortcut. Alternatively, you can install the software on both PCs using the same licence key, but use the data files on the server. Please see http://www.eziforum.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=30 for more details.

Tks
Daniel

Graham Morris
www.ezisolution.co.uk
graham
Site Admin

Postby boytoys » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:30 pm

BTW, just paid for a 2 used licence via paypal.

Regarding the network. i read it, and seems like it will be same as other networked applications. I can handle this part. What i am confused is the following.

My question is currently i have installed the shareware version on the POS workstation and not the server that i intended. What can i do now if the 2 user licence key arrived. I am kind of confused here.

Q1) How can i transferred the data (I have been using as a stand alone POS) that i have been using on the last month to the server with brand new install/download/licenced key software ?

Q2) Can i backup the data files so that i can re-apply/restore to it. If i install both the latest version of the shareware, then re-store the database to the server now.

:? :? :? :? confused :?
boytoys
Standard

Data Transfer Issues

Postby graham » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:24 pm

Daniel,

My answers to your comments are below.

boytoys wrote:BTW, just paid for a 2 used licence via paypal.

>> Thanks for the order. Your licence key has been sent to you.

Regarding the network. i read it, and seems like it will be same as other networked applications. I can handle this part. What i am confused is the following.

My question is currently i have installed the shareware version on the POS workstation and not the server that i intended. What can i do now if the 2 user licence key arrived. I am kind of confused here.

Q1) How can i transferred the data (I have been using as a stand alone POS) that i have been using on the last month to the server with brand new install/download/licenced key software ?

Q2) Can i backup the data files so that i can re-apply/restore to it. If i install both the latest version of the shareware, then re-store the database to the server now.

:? :? :? :? confused :?

>>> The suggest approach is below.

1) First do a backup of all Retail-Man files on you trial PC.

2) Ensure that there is reliable networking between the server and the trial PC.

3) Copy the original download from the trial PC to the server, then do a clean install on the server.

4) Configure the networking as per the document supplied.

5) Shutdown the software on PC and server, copy the data files (*.dbf, *.cdx, *.fpt) from the test PC to the server.

6) Startup software on the server, apply the licence key, verify the data has been copied successfully.

7) Re-configure the client to use the server based software and data - best to rename existing RMAN folder on client.

I hope that the above is of use.

Graham Morris
Ezi Solution

graham
Site Admin

Postby boytoys » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:40 pm

Classic Success Story of why this POS Shareware works very well for Vendor and Customer.

Thank you Graham for your reply.

Thank you Jager for your advice

I will be integrating this today 31st ready for APR 1st.

We phased out the CASH REGISTER on Mar 1st. Exactly a month !!
boytoys
Standard

Re: Data Transfer Issues

Postby boytoys » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm

graham wrote:

2) Ensure that there is reliable networking between the server and the trial PC.

3) Copy the original download from the trial PC to the server, then do a clean install on the server.

5) Shutdown the software on PC and server, copy the data files (*.dbf, *.cdx, *.fpt) from the test PC to the server.

6) Startup software on the server, apply the licence key, verify the data has been copied successfully.

7) Re-configure the client to use the server based software and data - best to rename existing RMAN folder on client.

Graham Morris
Ezi Solution

In my trial PC, i am running 1.60.29c , i just noticed there is even a 1.60.30 as of this morning..

I have now setup the network for both Workstation and Server to communicate.

I have also backup the RMAN folder now from the TRIAL PC.

At the server, My next question is do i install 1.60.29c for a clean install or do i install 1.60.30 ?

Thx
boytoys
Standard

Re: Data Transfer Issues

Postby graham » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:08 pm

boytoys wrote:
graham wrote:

Graham Morris
Ezi Solution

In my trial PC, i am running 1.60.29c , i just noticed there is even a 1.60.30 as of this morning..

I have now setup the network for both Workstation and Server to communicate.

I have also backup the RMAN folder now from the TRIAL PC.

At the server, My next question is do i install 1.60.29c for a clean install or do i install 1.60.30 ?

>> It is safer to install 1.60.29c on the server, then copy the data. You can upgrade the server software at a later date.

GM

Thx
graham
Site Admin

Postby boytoys » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:28 pm

i did exactly that. Clean install on Server of 1.60.29c

Copy the *.dbf *.cdx and *.fpt files to the server \RMAN directory

and when i hit the RetailMan icon to load up the first time in the server,

it presents this ERROR NUMBER 5 and says it is out of range.

???

Should i upgrade to 1.60.30 now by installing over it.. Right now. i have done nothing to the Workstation/trial PC.. I am just concentrating on the Server which will host the database and files..
:?
boytoys
Standard

Postby boytoys » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:41 pm

I just installed 1.60.30 over the previous version at the server. It upgrades itself as prompted.

I then entered my PRODUCT KEY received by email. All is fine.

Then i was presented the same POS screen...Then i dont have all those problems error messages. I checked my sales data and database data. This looks fine for now.

But One thing. MY POS DOCKET still prints

"Retailman POS (UNREGISTERED COPY)"

despite i have entered PRODUCT KEY..

Any hint ?

So basically my setup now is i have the latest 1.60.30 setup at server and printing my docket out in the sales floor connected with the EPSON SLIP PRINTER and it works no problem..

And it looks the same.

My next step is to create that shortcut RMAN 2 "instance" so that i can work on the workstation (which previously had installed the RMAN)

MY next question is do i need to delete this directory and remove the installation. Afterall, i was told by Jaguar that it was only 1 install required even though i can run client and server POS.

Any hint ?
boytoys
Standard

Postby boytoys » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:02 pm

I got the Shortcut working perfectly now !!
With the right path, it loads up and it does show that it is WORKSTATION 2 for example.

However, on the server, it prints exactly the same way as the docket was designed.

But somehow i cannot find the printer driver/network printer for the EPSON (Slip printer) which is locally connected. and when i reprint a previous invoice, it does not obviously have the same design..

What could be wrong here ?
:cry: :cry:

So close, yet not done...! overall i am very happy though..
boytoys
Standard

Postby boytoys » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 am

DONE. It's SETUP !! officially for the monthe end..

APRIL 1st !! i am official registered expert user..

Hey, graham, how can i become a reseller ....? i want to promote your product and sell some hardware...and solutions......can I ?
boytoys
Standard

Postby sami » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:44 am

Hi all,

Been busy doing a one-one customer support which has been taking some of my time. I came here and found many postings. Allan and Graham has been doing great job of answering the technical questions.

Now, regarding the logo printing on the POS printer, Most new printers do support logo printing especially the more expensive ones, the way it does that is to store the logos in the printer internal memory, this is normally done using a utility that comes with the printer. Some POS printers can store many logos (good for advertising and specials) and the way to activate it is to send the printer a control code (example: for the STAR Thermal Printer TSP 700 you send ~1 (thats Tilde 1) to print the first stored logo, ~2 for the 2nd logo and so on) the control characters are sent as part of the header or footer of the POS docket and its very easy to play with)

Regarding upgrading (and this comes very often), you just download the latest version and apply it ON TOP of the existing copy, making sure NO INSTANCE of the program is open anywhere (especially if you have a network). Once the setup is done, when you first run the program, it will tell you its upgrading the files to version x.xx.xx.
We highly recommend the user makes a full folder backup before the upgrade, just in case something going wrong. To do a full folder backup, just right click on the RMAN folder, choose copy, then right click on an empty space and click paste, if you have done that on the same source/destination, Windows will automatically name the new folder as COPY OF RMAN
You must not copy the data files and then restore them after the upgrade, simply because the new version does update the data files to a new structure, and if you copy the old files back to the new version, it will most likely give you various error messages. To get rid of them, just apply the upgrade once more.

Regarding the new features requests, we welcome all requests, and we will try to add as many new features as we can, especially if we think they enhance the program and are appealing to most users. I think for new feature, Allan must take the first prize for suggesting most requests :) . We are currently working on the following upgrades:

1 - Add a new product search by description to locate text within
2 - Add Multi-Currency support
3 - Add support for 2 taxes
4 - Add search function for items sold to existing clients in POS
and more...

We will change the way we publish our products by adding a letter to the end of the of the version for beta versions, so the new beta version will be 1.60.30a, we then invite all the adventurous clients (or the ones who asked for the upgrade) to download and install the beta version and report to us any problems they can find, then when we are fairly certain the new version is stable, we remove the latter from the end of the version and it becomes 1.60.30. NOTE, the current 1.60.30 is a beta version and we will rename it to reflect the new naming convention
sami
Site Admin

ERROR 1229

Postby boytoys » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:14 pm

Everything was ok this morning. except when my assistant logged on using his passcode... This error was presented ..

Error Number : 1229
Too Few arguments
boytoys
Standard

Postby sami » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:25 pm

To fix this proiblem, go to MAINTENANCE > USER SETTINGS and place the lightbar on the staff, then press the SETTINGS button, then change the colors of the menus and save. this is a problem with the staff files that does not contain enough information. Will add this info in the new setup file.

I do not seem to be able to post to your post regarding the POLE DISPLAY but there is a section on the pole display in the user manual
sami
Site Admin

Postby Jaeger » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:58 pm

Hi Daniel,
Had a number of issues getting my head round the users and security. Was getting frustrated adding colours and screens to each user then (I think) the penny dropped or something did?

Not sure if you've seen this post, maybe it'll help, maybe not?

[URL=http://www.eziforum.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=53]How To! - Users Numbers and Security Levels.
[/URL]

Best Regards
Jaeger
Standard

Postby boytoys » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:28 pm

Some of the other users were fine, only that one. I will do what SAMI suggested.

Jaegar, i have seen your post and will find out more..

Thx.
boytoys
Standard

Editing Ezi accounting invoice format

Postby Charles Ombongi » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 pm

Hello

I have tried to get support on how to edit the invoice and include two extra columns for my clients in the transport industry but it seems most of other clients are not interested in extra columns, anybody with idea how this can be done

Regards

Charles
Charles Ombongi
Standard

Return to Retail-Man