TM-T88IV Cash Drawer doesn't open when paper out

Discussions about hardware for POS and Inventory systems. Bar-code readers, Pole Displays, Cash Drawers, Touch Screens.

Moderators: sami, graham

TM-T88IV Cash Drawer doesn't open when paper out

Postby movis » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Hello,

I wonder if anyone could suggest a solution to this little annoyance with Windows and my Epson TM-T88IV.

My cash drawer is normally opened by a command sent as a windows print job from Retail Man to the POS printer queue.

The problem is that when there is no paper in the printer, it can't process the print job and therefore the cash drawer is stuck closed. I don't really want to leave the cash drawer keys with staff.

Obviously I should take care not to run out of till roll for various reasons, but I wonder, is there another way of getting the drawer to open from Retail Man, a method which doesn't fall over on printer offline / paper out.
movis
Standard

Postby sami » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi,

There are 2 ways you can do this:
The first is to disable the paper detector sensor in your pos printer (can be done by either switch settings or the program that comes with your printer) so check your user manual. The only drawback to this is the printer will keep printing even if there is no paper.

The other way is to use a serial port cash drawer (connects to serial port Com1 or Com2) then you are not bound by the POS printer so even if the pos printer is off, you can still operate the cash drawer.
sami
Site Admin

Postby martijnhagemans » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:33 pm

Hello,

Its also possible to let the cash drawer open before printing. This is a setting is the printer configuration. Here you can set the option BEFORe or AFTER printing.
martijnhagemans
Standard

Postby sami » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:07 pm

We can, but the problem is if the cash drawer fails, it will also stops the printer from printing, this is why we make it trigger after the print
sami
Site Admin

Postby martijnhagemans » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:27 pm

hmm.. but i dont think the cash drawer will refuse to open?

I'm testing my own tm88IV with a cash drawer but the drawer never refused....

But otherwise you have to the thing that SAMI told.

Do you also have a customer display?
martijnhagemans
Standard

Postby POSSystems » Mon May 10, 2010 8:15 am

hey........

I agree to the suggestions which one is given by Sami... You should try the one of them... Hope you will get the solution of your problem...
POSSystems
Standard

Re: TM-T88IV Cash Drawer doesn't open when paper out

Postby alainapeterson » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:40 am

Well it is a great suggestion because sometimes we fail to understand the nature of the problem. Your post will definitely helps many people. thanks for your suggestion and experience.

POS | EPOS | Retail Management
alainapeterson
Standard

Re: TM-T88IV Cash Drawer doesn't open when paper out

Postby alainapeterson » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:09 am

1. What is the proper type of cable for the serial interface running between the TM and the PC?

Answer: A standard Null Modem Cable must be used to connect the TM printer to a PC.

2. I want to make my own serial cable for my TM printer, what are the recommended pinouts?

Answer:

3. Why does my TM printer print question marks when I try to print a receipt?

Answer: The TM printer will print question marks or other incorrect characters when there is a framing error.

A framing error will occur if any of the following conditions are true:

1. A Null Modem Cable is not used.
2. The baud rate, parity, stop bits or (serial interface models) is not set on the printer the same as on the system.
3. The cable length exceeds 50 feet.

Checking the communication settings

The TM printer will operate correctly only if the communication settings at the TM printer side match the settings at the PC side. Specifically, both sides must have matching baud rate, bit-length, parity and handshaking settings.

Checking the settings of the TM printer

Check that the dip switch settings on the TM printer are set properly, or run a self-test printout to verify the settings. For information about the printers dip switches and self-test function, refer to the documentation that came with your printer. For most TM models, to run a self-test, power the printer up with the feed button pressed.

Checking the settings at the host PC

Settings at the PC side can be made either through the OS or through an application. Check that the PC settings match those at the TM printer side.

4. I set up the program, but it doesn't format the printout as expected. What should I check for?

Answer: Run a hex-dump and verify that the appropriate control codes are being sent by your application.

If your printer support
s the hex-dump function, run a hex dump and check whether the printer is receiving the expected data. (Check the product documentation to determine whether your printer support
s a hex-dump function.)

If the data is correct, then check whether you are using the appropriate commands. (Refer to the product specifications and other documentation for information about commands).

5. Some of the print data is dropping out. What should I check for?

Answer: Data drop-out is usually caused by the handshaking mismatched that results in problems related to the printer's receive buffer. An incorrect cable could cause this symptom as well.

To check the handshaking, proceed as follows:

Prepare a large quantity of print data, and then begin transmission to the printer. Open the printer cover while printing is in progress (so that the printer goes offline) and make sure that data transmission stops. (If transmission continues, you can conclude that handshaking is not operating correctly.)

6. Data drop-out occurs during serial transmission from Windows '95 or '98. Can you give me any advice?

Answer: Check the FIFO Transmit Buffer setting (Windows '95/'98 Com port setting, accessible by pressing the Advanced button in the Port Settings tab of the Communications Port Properties sheet). Windows '95/'98 only executes handshaking in relation to the start of the buffer, and may therefore drop data if this setting is toward the High side. Try moving the setting to Low (1-byte).

7. When I replaced my TM-T80P printer with a TM-T88P, the printing speed dropped substantially. Why?

Answer: The SELECT IN signal (Pin 36) may be staying HIGH.

Slow printing will occur if the SELECTIN signal (1284-active; Pin 36) stays HIGH, leaving the printer in reverse mode (i.e., selecting transfer from printer to PC, rather than from PC to printer). Control the signal with your programming code when developing your application, so that it goes LOW.

(If you can't control the signal from the PC side, you can simply cut the signal line at the cable.)

Whereas older models conform to the Centronics parallel-I/F standard, newer models conform to the IEEE1284 standard. Under the Centronics standard, the SELECTIN signal could remain HIGH without impeding performance (the signal was active-on-LOW). This is not the case under IEEE1284, however.

Centronics-Compliant Printers

TM-T60P, TM-T80P, TM-L60P, TM-U300P

IEE1284-Compliant Printers

TM-H5000IIP, TM-H5000P, TM-U950P, TM-U925P, TM-U375P, TM-U590P, TM-T88P, TM-T85P, TM-T285P, TM-L60IIP, TM-U200P, TM-U295P

8. How can ESC/POS commands be transmitted ? For example, how about the cut sheet wait time command ESC f m n ?

Answer: Following, are a couple of examples to send the commands.
When using BASIC, an example would be as follows (m = 1, n = 1):
PRINT #1, CHR$(&H1B); CHR$(&H66); CHR$(11); CHR$(1);
or
PRINT #1, CHR$(&H1B); "f"; CHR$(11); CHR$(1);
In Visual Basic, using the MSComm Control:
MSComm1.CommPort = 1 'Select Com1
MSComm1.PortOpen = True 'Open Port
MSComm1.Settings = "9600,N,8,1" 'Initialize port
MSComm1.Output = Chr(&H1B) + "f" + Chr(11) + Chr(1) 'Cut sheet wait time command, f m n
MSComm1.PortOpen = False 'Close Port
End Sub

9. What maintenance is required on my System Device product?

Answer: Keeping printers free of paper dust reduces the possibility of paper jams. You can also use an MICR cleaning kit to prevent readers from misreading and to effectively remove dirt, ink and other contaminants. And don't forget that old ribbons can shorten print head life. Replace the ribbon when a decrease in print quality is observed. Read the User's Manual instructions of your product for more maintenance tips.

10. Why is my printer not printing in parallel mode?

Answer: When installing a TM printer with a parallel interface, if the printer prints garbage, stops printing in the middle of the print job or doesn't print at all, try changing the parallel port mode in the computers BIOS from ECP to Standard or Standard Bi-Directional.

11. Why is my printer printing slowly?

Answer: For faster printing in Windows using a TM printer, select a TM-Printer font.

12. I've installed the printer driver for my TM but the USB port does not appear when configuring the driver. What else should I check?

Answer: If the USB port is not shown as a valid port in the printer driver's port selection, and you have installed the appropriate USB device drivers, this usually implies a Windows Registry inconsistency. However, it is recommended that the USB Driver Installation Manual (PDF) be reviewed and the USB driver installation be performed again. If the printer driver is to be installed on to a Windows NT, 2000, or XP system, you must login as a user who has Administrative Rights. i.e. "Administrator."

13. My cash drawer will not open. I need to make sure that it is wired and operating correctly. How I can check this?

Answer: Many cash drawer issues are software related. The printer will not attempt to open the drawer until it receives a command to do so. Therefore,
your software vendor and ask for their assistance in verifying that the software is actually sending the command to the printer. If the software is sending the command, check with your cash drawer vendor and verify that the cash drawer is wired for use with an Epson TM printer. If it is wired for use with an Epson, the next step would be to test the connection through software other than your POS software. The following documentation describes procedures to test the drawer via software, provides hardware information, and wiring diagrams: drawer_kick.pdf. If the tests and examples in the document do open your drawer it will be evident that the POS software is still not configured correctly. contacts your software vendor for assistance in configuring the software.

14. Windows reports a new device is found when I turn on the computer and asks for a driver. The drivers are loaded, now what?

Answer: There are two installation aspects that Windows considers when a TM Printer is installed.

The printing aspect, that is, how to actually print to the printer. The Plug and Play aspect, that is, how to identify the printer. The printing aspect is addressed by the Windows Printer Drivers that are installed, however, the Plug and Play aspect is neither required or used. The displayed message refers to the unused Plug and Play driver. Therefore, as long as the printer drivers are correctly installed and you can print to the printer, the message can be ignored. However, when Windows declares that it has found new hardware again, allow Windows to search for the device driver. Windows will not find an appropriate driver and will ask what should be done next. Select "Disable device" or "Load device without a driver." Remember, this is the Plug and Play aspect not the printing aspect; disabling or loading this device without the driver will not effect printing to that device in any way. Once disabled, Windows will not ask about the device again. This message usually occurs on parallel or USB printers installed on Windows 98SE or Windows 2000 systems.
alainapeterson
Standard

Return to POS Hardware