How are the codes generated

Issues, questions, information about creating, printing and working with bar codes and bar code readers

Moderators: sami, graham

How are the codes generated

Postby Charles Ombongi » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi guys

How are part numbers on the barcodes generated in retailman, do I have to create my own part numbers and then attach to particular barcodes?my general understanding of barcodes is that the digits have to follow a certain universally agreed sequnce with the last digit confirmiing whether there are any errors on the barcodes?

How do I navigate though this complex matrix of generating the digits just below the barcodes?

Charles
cskyo technologies
Charles Ombongi
Standard

Postby sami » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:20 pm

The barcode is basically the part number changed in to bars, so you do not have to do anything special. Just print the barcodes and when you scan them, the system will convert the barcode in to the part number.
sami
Site Admin

Postby POSSystems » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 am

Hi Charles,

There are lots of types of barcode, but the common one we all see all the time is called UPC, the Universal Product Code.

This is how the barcode works...

Each digit is coded by two black and two white stripes. The stripes have widths of from 1 to 4 units, and the total width for each digit is always seven units.

This code is not quite all there is to it, however. Some digits of the barcode are reversed, so that they read right to left. Part of the code has black and white inverted, so black stripes are white and vice versa. This helps cut down errors and allows a computer to work out if the code was read from the wrong end when it was scanned.

Hope now it is clear to you.
POSSystems
Standard

Re: How are the codes generated

Postby MaddMatt » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:56 am

Is it possible for RetailMan to generate it's own barcode?

I have a number of items that don't come pre-equipped with a barcode and trying to keep track of making them up might be rather tricky. An older POS we used would generate it's own barcode if none were available. In this situation, can retailman do the dirty work for me?

Thanks!

MM

PS-> First post, yeah!
MaddMatt
Standard

Postby MaddMatt » Mon May 16, 2011 2:36 am

Now that I am neck deep in getting the store up and running, I figured I would report back on generating codes. Looking at my original post, I was overly concerned about nothing. I added 10,000 part number sku's from a previous database and found a nice gap in the numbers. As the only person able to add sku's to the database, it was a pretty easy process once I had the starting number.

So I apologize if I got anyone concerned. It turned out to be nothing to worry about!

MM
MaddMatt
Standard

Postby JeremyW » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:54 pm

Did you find where you are able to create your own bar codes? I think by entering the product number or whatever info you want to be read on the bar code, the program will then create it. It's just like computer code in that the software does the work for you.

Jeremy - Comparing human resource management solutions.
Last edited by JeremyW on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyW
Standard

Postby graham » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:12 pm

JeremyW wrote:Did you find where you are able to create your own bar codes? I think by entering the product number or whatever info you want to be read on the bar code, the program will then create it. It's just like computer code in that the software does the work for you.

Hello,

As has been mentioned before, you need to make the Part Number in Retail-Man to be the same as the bar code number on each product. This will allow a bar-code scanner to automatically select the right product in Retail-Man.

If items are supplied to you with a bar-code, then you should use this code in Retail-Man. If items do not have a bar-code, then you will need need to allocate a code by creating a product in Retail-Man with that part number. The bar-code labels can then be printed by Retail-Man.

Graham Morris

Ezi Solution
graham
Site Admin

Return to Bar Codes