Bar Codes - Can Print But Cannot Read?

Issues, questions, information about creating, printing and working with bar codes and bar code readers

Moderators: sami, graham

Bar Codes - Can Print But Cannot Read?

Postby graham » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:23 am

The details below are from a problem a customer reported today. They may be of interest to others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We recently purchased Retail-Man software to set up a new POS system. We seem to be unable to scan the barcodes created from within the program. The scanner is a Metrologic Voyager MS9520 (keyboard wedge). We have tried configuring all sorts of code 128 options but although the scanner reads various other codes, it wont read ours.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Te reasons for the scanner not reading the barcodes can vary, but here is a list of reasons:

1 - Printed Barcode is too small for the scanner, try printing a larger barcode using a different stationary (you can use plain paper to start off with for testing)

2 - The barcode scanner is not configured properly to read the Barcode 128.

3 - Barcode is printed using the wrong printer, we have had occasions when the user printed barcodes using an inkjet printer, some stationaries do not work well with inkjets because they smudge and the scanner can not recognise the font, try printing on a laser printer.

4 - The barcode is too large it won't fit in the printed form, if so, the scanner will not recognise the barcode. See if you can print barcodes with short part numbers and see if they scan.

There could be other reasons but the above list cover the majority of problem causes.

Ezi Support
graham
Site Admin

Postby manziar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Sir

I had the same issue as the user mentioned (can print but can't read). I have tried all the 4 options u mentioned. Is there any other barcode available.

Please help

Thanks

Manzil
manziar
Standard

Reading Bar Codes

Postby graham » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:44 am

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems reading the bar-codes. The issue could be with the way that the reader has been setup. What model of scanner do you have, and how is it connected to your system?

Can you read bar-codes on standard commercial products that already have them on the packaging? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Graham

manziar wrote:Sir

I had the same issue as the user mentioned (can print but can't read). I have tried all the 4 options u mentioned. Is there any other barcode available.

Please help

Thanks

Manzil
graham
Site Admin

Return to Bar Codes