Using Barcode Scanners

Issues, questions, information about creating, printing and working with bar codes and bar code readers

Moderators: sami, graham

Using Barcode Scanners

Postby chris atiba » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi ,
I have been using Retail Man for a while now without a barcode scanner. I decided to buy a bar code scanner but when I plugged it in, and I tried using it to read a sample barcode. The scanner beeped but I did not see anything on the POS screen of the software.

1. Are barcode readers plug and play devices or do they need drivers like printers?

2. Can bar code scanners read barcodes for products that are not yet in the inventory for Retail man?

3. what kind of connection cable should the barcode scanner for retail man have? Serial connector, PS2, USB or...

:(
chris atiba
Standard

Postby abdman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:43 pm

hello chris

barcode readers are a simple way of reading part numbers. so instead of typing the number manually you use the scanner to read these numbers.

1- most barcode readers are plug and play.

2- :shock:

3- most scanners are USB, but really does not matter as long as it can read the lines and rights it as numbers

[/quote]
abdman
Standard

Postby sami » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:15 am

1. Are barcode readers plug and play devices or do they need drivers like printers?
If you use the scanners with either USB or Keyboard interface, they should just work without any setup

2. Can bar code scanners read barcodes for products that are not yet in the inventory for Retail man?
No, the barcode has to be in the system for it to be recognised, you can add the barcode as either the main part number or as an equivalent part number, this is great for users who like to have their own part numbers but wish to also have the barcodes as well.

3. what kind of connection cable should the barcode scanner for retail man have? Serial connector, PS2, USB or...
USB or Keyboard interface will work without any setup, do not use the serial as it requires too much fiddling around and may not be supported by Rman
sami
Site Admin

Great Job

Postby capretail » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 am

Hi sami,
You have done a great job and Now I have clear idea of using POS software system..
capretail
Standard

Postby POSSystems » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 am

Hey sami,

Thanks for clarifying all the things individually.
POSSystems
Standard

Return to Bar Codes